Tuesday 16 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : DAY 16 - A TALE OF THREE LEVELS - LICHENS

It's very hard to stay on track with the 30 Days Wild Challenge

Although Loose and Leafy is predominantly about plants and insects I'm used to doing my own thing and over these last few days I've found I've been wandering around (in so far as I can wander!) photographing walls. One can stretch a theme so far but I don't think a wall can be counted in itself as 'wild'. So I scanned the info. to see where I could squeeze 'walls' into the project and found that one of the squares on the nature table is 'Moss and Mud'. I do have some photos of mud but I'm not in a 'mud' sort of mood today. All this sudden fresh air and exercise is making me a bit peevish and very tired. I keep telling myself it's good for me and that strength will properly return but it's a bit of a slog. 

As an aside - I was enlivened somewhat today by hearing a cuckoo. I haven't heard a cuckoo for years. I can give myself a tick for this; 'Listen out for birdsong and learn who it's coming from' is on one of the squares on the 30 days 'passport'. (Squares figure large in this challenge, there's even a 'bingo' card - more squares.

Stone shed with mossy roof. Luddenden Valley, West Yorkshire
However, today I walked past this stone building which is gradually being overcome by moss; I'll put this building with its moss then on the virtual nature table. There are lots of stone buildings being destroyed by nature around here but this one looks as if its managing to hold its own despite the onslaught. Roots are the real demolition gang and mosses don't have any - just things called 'rhyzoids' which help them stick to whatever they are sitting on.

Looking at walls though will, also, almost inevitably, bring one face to face with lichen. Lichen is even weirder than moss, being not one organism but a conglomeration. I knew lichen is fungi and algae together but when I was looking it up I found there's another thing involved - cyanobacteria. Until today I'd not heard of cyanobacteria. Should I try to learn about them? understand them? interest you in them? explain them?

Wikipedia says this:

"Cyanobacteria /saɪˌænoʊbækˈtɪəriə/, also known as Cyanophyta, are a phylum consisting of free-living photosynthetic bacteria and the endosymbiotic plastids, a sister group to Gloeomargarita, that are present in some eukaryotes. They commonly obtain their energy through oxygenic photosynthesis."

I haven't the foggiest idea what any of this means so I'll leave it hanging. One of the basic tenets of Loose and Leafy is that it's possible to to appreciate things to a significant degree without necessarily knowing what they are. This is not to say that I would not benefit from knowing more. Rather it's a determination not to let lack of knowledge deter me from exploration. And in the presence of lichens, it's not only that I rarely know what kind of lichens I'm looking at, I find them so science-fictiony I'm almost frightened to think about them.  This, of course, is contradictory but I expect you can cope.

Stepping sideways . . . When I lived in Dorset, I lived by the sea. The natural history interest of the seashore is never ending and even when I went inland, the sea was never far away, not really. And when I was walking by the sea, the green hills of inland Dorset were never far from me either. I wouldn't expect to find a jellyfish on a hilltop, obviously, or honeysuckle rambling over a rock that's submerged at high tide but, broadly speaking, there was an interconnectedness between the various sceneries.

Here in West Yorkshire, I am finding it very different. The hills are steep, the valleys deep. Within a few minutes I am walking between different worlds.

Large puddle with cloud reflections. Warley Moor. West Yorkshire. June 2020

A few days ago, up on Warley Moor, I found masses of tiny butterflies rushing about my feet. None would stay still long enough to photograph and in all their brief pauses they shut their wings. There were tiny, tiny bumblebees as well. Ordinary daisies were a fraction of the size of the daisies I'm used to. And there was an odd heathery plant that had just four pink bells on the top - very understated. The whiteness of the Hare's Tail Cottongrass seedheads had receded and was almost completely gone now. There had been acres of it only a few days before. I'd been told (on iSpot) that the difference between Common Cottongrass and Hare's Tail Cottongrass is that Hare's Tail Cottongrass has only one seedhead on a stem and Common Cottongrass more than one. Apparently the wind and the rain can fuse them so it might be easy to muddle which is which. Definitely these had only one head per stem.  I picked one stem to photograph when I got home. 

Lichen on stone bridge. Warley Moor. West Yorkshire. June 2020
First, though, I wanted to photograph a lichen I'd first met a year ago on the little stone bridge I showed you on Day 8 so I gave the seedhead to my companion to look after. He put it in his hat. In his hat! Would you put delicate samples in your hat for safe-keeping? No. I didn't think so. They get squashed. Obviously. I'll need to wait almost a year for another chance. But that's good. Thinking ahead!

Fruiting bodies of lichen on dry stone wall. Wainstalls. West Yorkshire.



So . . . back to today, I began my walk lower down the hill. Not that it feels as if it's down a hill. It feels very high and windswept there. And, on a dry stone wall, were the fruiting bodies of another lichen. Very tiny. Very ethereal.

I think these are 'Pixie Cups' - (Cladonia pyxidata)






There was more than one patch of it.

Sheep near Wainstalls. West Yorkshire.


A difference in the landscape. Less mud than higher on the moor! There are few dwellings on the tops of the moors but lots of people live at this middle height so there are houses and farms, even if they aren't in the picture; and more discernible divisions between the fields.

Circular lichens on stones on fallen wall in Luddenden Valley.


But still there's further to go. Further down and down into Luddenden valley towards the stream (brook?) at the bottom. The mossy building is half way down the hill. Further round on roughly the same contour is a little stand of trees and yet another kind of lichen on a rock that's part of a fallen wall.

Floppy, pale green lichen on branch over stream in Luddenden Valley, West Yorkshire.


And, eventually reaching the bottom, in a place where it's warm and still and sheltered and green, on a branch across the stream is yet another kind of lichen.

I don't know what any of them are!






What of the tiny butterflies? On the Butterfly Conservation Site where you can get help with IDs, I ticked boxes for 'England', 'Small' 'Orange' and 'Grey'. Up came 'Small Heath'. That was what they looked like. That it seemed, was it! Except . . . it can be found in southern England and I am in the north of England. But the text also says it is widespread so may be that was ok. I read on.

"Occurs on grassland where there are fine grasses, especially in dry, well-drained situations where the sward is short and sparse. Typical habitats include; heathland, downland and coastal dunes, but it is also found on road verges, moorland and in woodland rides."

It wasn't feeling quite 'right'. This was not a 'dry, well-drained situation'. (See the photo of the sky reflected in the puddle above!) There are big yellow notices all over the place warning us to take care not to sink.

Despite it being a very small butterfly, I clicked for 'Large Heath'. 

"The main foodplant is Hare's-tail Cottongrass (Eriophorum vaginatum)" 

Bingo! 

And . . .

"The butterflies breed in open, wet areas where the foodplant grows, this includes habitats such as; lowland raised bogs, upland blanket bogs and damp acidic moorland. Sites are usually below 500m (600m in the far north) and have a base of Sphagnum moss interspersed with the foodplant and abundant Cross-leaved Heath (the main adult nectar source)."

Another hurdle . . . what is 'Cross-leaved Heath'? I go to Google images and Wikepedia (as one does) and . . . it's the tough little plant with the meagre display of pink flowers. So . . . my little butterfly is a Large Heath even though it's a little butterfly.

Very exciting. I've got three layers of habitat, the high moor, the middle and the valley. I've identified a butterfly, a heather (a heath is a heather) a sedge (Hare's Tail Cottongrass is a sedge) heard a cuckoo, inspected several lichens and admired a mossy stone shed.

Badge and Link to 30 Days Wild 2020
Today's Random Act of
Wildness is to
look at moss
and lichen,
listen to a bird,
identify a butterfly
and two plants.

Links:
Listen to a cuckoo on the RSPB site.
Cross-leaved Heath (Erica tetralix) on Wikipedia.
Large Heath Butterfly (Coenonympha tullia) on the Butterfly Conservation site.


 

Linking with Nature Notes at Rambling Woods.
And to Our World Tuesday

11 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This challenge is keeping you very busy (and I would be exhausted). Also you are learning a lot and so are we by reading your posts (and with a lot less work, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!)... the first time heard about lichens was when I saw all these round white spots on trees in a nature park in Florida...I thought someone had vandalized them with white paint. The volunteer ranger patiently explained lichens to me ...I was kind of embarrassed to be as old as I was and not know about them.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello R's Rue. I am very fortunate to live here!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Sallie. You shouldn't have felt embarrassed. There are so many interesting things in the natural world we can't possibly know about them all. And although many lichens are beautiful some are downright ugly. I too have come across ones which look as if someone's splashed white paint around the place.

I am in the fortunate position of knowing very little about the area I now live in. I moved here two years ago and have been ill / in hospital for much of that time so have not yet had a lot of opportunity to explore. I say I am fortunate because there are all these adventures in learning and I'm starting from zero. I will not be short of things to do!

I tried taking photos of the little butterflies but they were too small and too fast to focus on successfully so all I got was blurry pictures of the ground. And what a ground it turns out to be! Even while there I hadn't noticed how many species of small plant are packed into each square foot - and I know hardly any of what they are.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

what a joy walking along with you in this post Lucy as you filled in the nature table(sorry it is still rather taxing for you though)
I have not heard a cuckoo in this part of Yorkshire though there are plenty of fields roundabout (I sponsored a cuckoo with the BTO for 2 years but last year it did not make it back from Africa)

lichens make such lovely subjects for the camera and then there is the whole natural history of them to fill a lifetime.

thank you for sharing such a lot of information - such worthwhile reading.

Flighty said...

A most enjoyable, and interesting, post and good pictures. Lucky you hearing a cuckoo, it's been many years since I last did. xx

Linda P said...

You are covering a lot of natural history topics during your challenge. Thank you for sharing what you see and find out. I think the in depth study of a deciduous tree through the year would be fascinating. I recognise some trees from the shape and leaves (when they are on a tree, of course). Bark is tactile and beautiful in itself. All the best with your walks and observations.

Tanza Erlambang said...

I am enjoy to read of your post about lichen....
wonderful explanation and beautiful photos

Rambling Woods said...

I saw the red-admiral post and wonderful photos as is this...sooo much to learn....

Diana Studer said...

We have pixie cups here too (I like nature which is distinctive, making the names easy to remember)

The ruffled layers of lichen are foliose.

Rambling Woods said...

My MS keeps me pretty close to home as I get so tired..but if I was well...the adventures I would have..This is such an interesting topic...