Wednesday 17 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : DAY 17 - GRASS AND BARK

17th June 2020. I'll have to go back to find out what kind of tree this is!
I went out briefly this morning, intending to take photos of 'coronovirus plants' - plants which would not, in the usual way of things, have been left in place but would have been swept up, mown down, taken away. This photo of grass in flower was to illustrate what happens when the grass isn't cut. There were red poppies too in the rising-high lawn beside an electricity sub-station. Poppies and other coronovirus plants can last till another day for although I was struck by the beauty of the grass flower, when I viewed the picture on screen I was equally struck by the bark of the tree behind it. . . . Which in turn reminded me of the bark on silver birches that I'd come across yesterday.



Silver birches can look elegant when their bark shines but they can look pretty tatty as well. Only recently have I come across silver birches which I would describe as 'characterful'; their trunks and limbs describing interesting shapes, 






their bark beautiful in a variety of colours.

Which is why my purpose for today's post wandered around a bit. 

Badge and Link to 30 Days Wild 2020
30 DAYS WILD
Today's Random Act of
Wildness is to
place grass and bark on
the virtual
nature table.





So today . . . on my virtual nature table . . . I place grass and bark.

8 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Perhaps we might lean from Covid-19 that we don't need to chop down, slice, cut, eliminate, spray and otherwise remove everything that grows that doesn't happen to fit our notion of what should be where.

Jeanna said...

That is an interesting thing to think of, virus plants. I was trying to start something called, "Dogs In Cars Getting Walkies" since so many people are staying home or bringing their dogs with them everywhere now. Too hard to get a good shot though.
Love the last bark photo especially.
My cousin has some poppies that are still hanging in there.

colleen said...

Green and serene. I thought I saw an owl in the second shot!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I used to walk sometimes with a man who was an expert on grasses and who would get very excited when he found some unusual grass. He also got vey cross about the way that people mowed it down! He would have enjoyed this post - as indeed have I.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello David. This is one of many lessons and opportunities for change . . . but I am loosing confidence a little that we will actually take advantage of it.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Jeanna. I think I should take some more bark photos. There are some interesting trees around.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Colleen. It took me a while to 'see' the owl. I was at first looking for a live one rather than a pattern in the bark. Wouldn't it be great to take a photo of a tree and later find an owl peering down in the photo from the branches?

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello John. I don't know anything about grasses but I am seeing quite a few this year that I have not come across before. (New landscapes to explore.) They don't easily stay still for photographing though.