Wednesday 24 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : 24 - I WENT WALKING AND I SAW . . .

Foxglove and dry stone wall in Luddenden Valley
This is where I went for a walk today.
It's hard, currently, not to be overwhelmed by heat. Today is sunny and clear. Before that the weather was heavy and oppressive. And before that the sky was dull and overcast. A letter arrived from the hospital with a list of nine series of vaccinations I will need to replace my immunities but my new GP practice seems to have shut up shop. I don't understand! There was a leaflet with the letter. I mustn't forget there's still time for me to get Graft Versus Host Disease and because of the transplant I am more at risk from a selection of cancers so I must use high factor suncream, wear sunglasses, get out of breath for thirty minutes a day to keep myself fit (this can be in ten minute chunks) and have ten minutes a day with my skin exposed to sunshine (for the sake of vitamin D).

Butterfly observed by fly. June 24th 2020
Butterfly being observed by a fly. June 24th 2020
So when I go for a walk I feel like the invisible man - my woolly hat has been replaced with a flowery sunhat and I wear large dark glasses in between it and my flowery mask. The sunglasses change how I see the world. They enrich all colours. Butterflies, pretty at the best of times, become absolute stunners. The sky is bluer. Clouds more dramatic. Leaves greener. The earth is enriched and warm. Photos don't look the same when I get them home! This butterfly was bright orange when I saw it through my glasses!

It's National Insect Week. I spent an age before I set out, trying to photograph bees on local poppies. Bees never stop moving and when they ping off the poppy and on to the next one, its petals are left vibrating. It's easier to photograph bees on sturdy bramble flowers I have discovered. However fiercely the bee wriggles, the flower stays still. (I've used one of the blurry poppy photos for a temporary header in honour of National Insect Week.)

Bracken (I think) June 24th 2020


Today's walk was in the country, through some woods between the moors and a stream. There was bracken and there were ferns, This, I think, is bracken. Who knows the difference between bracken and ferns?

Wasp pollinating a wild rose. June 24th 2020
Wasp pollinating a wild rose. June 24th 2020







There were wild roses and brambles. 

Here, a rose is being pollinated by a wasp.

Moss in woods on dry stone wall. June 24th 2020
Moss in woods on dry stone wall. June 24th 2020












And in the woods, perhaps my favourite observation today, this little moss on an old dry stone wall.







11 comments:

Adrian Ward said...

I'll guess again. The butterfly is a Speckled Wood.
All GPs are much the same. Idle buggers are too busy claiming the monies with more accounting skill than medical acumen.
I have a good friend who is dying of a tumour on his brain. The last month he has been a bit more iffy. We managed to get him eating and drinking again, I prescribed Dioralyte and dry toast with mashed banana on I even went and got it from town. I told him to phone the surgeon who operated and removed bits of the tumour. The Mr was mortified at the lack of follow up and he must have rattled a cage or two as he had a home visit from a registrar. He checked his tablets, ditched half of them and chatted. I saw him this morning and he was a different bloke, still a dying bloke but happier. Happier is all that matters.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Adrian. I put the photo of the butterfly on iSpot and several people there have also said 'Speckled Wood'. I hesitated though because there were Speckled Woods in Dorset too but they were bigger than this particular individual. I don't know whether this is because I am mis-remembering or whether there might be a regional difference in size.

About your friend . . . he must be very glad to have you around to watch out for him.

The hospital has continued to be very good with me - though the regular appointments have gone from fortnightly to monthly since the virus struck. My usual GP surgery was closed down because the local commissioning authority thought it was too expensive and all the patients were re-distributed to other practices. This coincided with the practice I was re-allocated to being amalgamated with two others. They've now decided they will only connect with people online - it's no use phoning. I have no idea what anyone is supposed to do if they don't have internet access. I got a message from them saying they know I need these injections but as they have closed the surgeries they don't know where they will administer them.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope your friend continues to have a less gruelling time now you are 'on the case'.

Adrian Ward said...

It's him that is having the gruelling. I'm fine I deal with stuff as I see it. If he's shitting and throwing up I do my best and banana on dry toast is a start. Salty fluids comes an hour later. Dioralite used to be cheap. It has doubled in price. Bastards!
Find a vet to sort you. They work on hoof value and we shoot them if the prognosis isn't good. Good is sixty percent for a loved animal. I have never thought life sacrosanct. It would be silly to think otherwise. If one is a pleb or prole the powers that be think nothing of a life. Look at the annihilation lefty loonies have managed this century.

Peabea Scribbles said...

Some lovely photos from your walk. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate so keep up the good fight. Enjoyed seeing your visit to my blog so I could come visit. Thank you.

Granny Sue said...

You have so many things to consider, just to take a walk. I stand amazed. I do hope you can get a GP or other medical professional to help you sort out your care and needs soon. What stress that would be!

betty-NZ said...

Thanks so much for taking us along on your walk! The green is so pretty on my rainy wintry day and I love the moss.

I guess it makes sense that you have to redo your inoculations but it sure sounds like a lot of work! I do hope you find a new doctor soon to take care of it all.

I'm glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

Birgitta said...

Very nice and beautiful photos!

liz said...

Lucy, what a production you have to go through with the medical profession. However, your 30 days “on the wild side” have given us the benefit of your phenomenal photography and your observations of the world around you. Thank you. Onward!

Veronica Lee said...

I absolutely enjoyed the gorgeous photos from your walk.

Happy Thursday!

Tanza Erlambang said...

love the bee and butterfly...great shots.
Hope, you get vaccine and other healthcares as you need.

Stay safe, healthy and virus free

Diana Studer said...

Wow. If the GP won't, can you get vaccinated at the hospital?