Thursday 25 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : 25 - TODAY I WALKED IN THE WOODS . . . WATER

Path through woods in Luddenden Valley. June 25th 2020


Today I walked in the woods.

Cuckoo spit. Woods in Luddenden Valley. June 25th 2020
Cuckoo spit. Woods in Luddenden Valley. June 25th 2020













There was cuckoo-spit in the grass. (Cuckoo spit is a damp froth which conceals the nymph of an insect called a 'froghopper'. I once brushed the 'spit' away and found a little green monster inside. It was nothing like its adult form. It would seem cruel to repeat the experiment for the sake of a photograph so you will have to imagine what it looks like!)

Gate leading to stone bridge over Luddenden Brook. 25th June 2020




I came to a gate.

Stone bridge over Luddenden Brook


The gate led to a grassy stone bridge.

Style into field. June 25th 2020. West Yorkshire


At the far side of the bridge was a style into a field.

Luddenden Brook. West Yorkshire. June 25th 2020.
Luddenden Brook. West Yorkshire. June 25th 2020.
But I didn't go into the field, I went under the bridge.


















And looked along the brook.

Water in Luddenden Brook, West Yorkshire. 25th June 2020


And into the water.

(This reads as if it's a story for very little children learning to read so perhaps I should finsish by saying
"THE END"!)

This post is part of the 30 Days Wild Challenge set annually by the Wildlife Trusts.

15 comments:

Granny Sue said...

What beautiful photos. I can't decide which I like best! I am so happy you're able to get out and about now.

Imperfect and Tense said...

Dappled shade and a babbling brook, there's few sights and sounds more mindful than that particular combination. Beautiful.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A lovely place to walk. That looks a substantial bridge to just be connecting two fields and I wonder if your route was once more important than now.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great walk. You have gone from total confinement to daily rambles. I am sure you are delighted,

Flighty said...

I think that I've lost track of commenting on these 30 Days - Wild posts again but I've been enjoying them. Take care. xx

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Granny Sue. I too am really pleased to be out and about again! And I am very fortunate in that there are many beautiful places within very easy range of where I live.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Imperfect and Tense. Yes. The interaction between the sunlight and the trees and the water was wonderful. I did not stay long because there were lots of gnats. Fortunately though I didn't get bitten.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello John. The bridge is a bit of a puzzle. It's even more substantial than it looks from this angle. It's an arch, not a flat slab. I had meant to put a photo of the underside but in trying to decide which one to use I ended up not putting one here at all. The strange thing is that there's a field on one side but the side where the woods are, from which direction I came, it's an extremely steep slope almost to the water's edge. You couldn't bring any kind of vehicle up it. Cattle, I think, would trample the slope very quickly to mush on their way through the woods. Maybe it was for an occasional pack-horse.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello David. You are right. I am delighted to be 'liberated' and that there are so many interesting places reasonably locally to explore.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Flighty. These posts are a bit relentless, aren't they? Glad you are enjoying them.

Diana Studer said...

This little girl loves bridges. A bridge is a story all on its own just by being there.

Natasha said...

That's a serene nature walk. Take me along Lucy. :)

https://natashamusing.com

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos, that bridge is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking through all your 30 Days Wild post and I especially like this one - trees, green fields and hazy summer days: perfect and so evocative..

(Oftencalledcathy)

Susan said...

Beautiful photos! I love the bridge. I've never heard of cuckoo spit, but that sounds interesting. I think it would make a GREAT children's book, and maybe you should think about that. I read a lot of children's lit and write tests for books, so I think with your photos and simple language, this would work well.