Friday 19 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : 19 - MAKING CHOICES

Ragwort by downpipe
Every so often, the Wildlife Trusts sends emails to those registered for 30 Days Wild with suggestions of what they might be doing for their 'random acts of wildness'. One of them recently is to go litter picking. Gathering litter is a bit of a challenge. Not only am I currently extra-wary of germs there's always the problem of what to do with the product of one's 'gatherings'. Most weeks the council collects things to be re-cycled (paper, plastic bottles, cans) and food-waste; but 'residual waste' (i.e. more or less everything else) is taken once a fortnight - and sometimes there's a delay with that. Even a short excursion to pick up crisp packets, stray plastic bags and fish and chip cartons can land one with more 'stuff' than will fit even in a big black wheelie bin when combined with one's own accumulated bits and bobs of packaging etc.. And if it doesn't fit in the wheelie bin, it won't be taken away.

Plants growing through tarmac tend to damage it.
I do put things in my bin if they land up outside my house, whether they have been dropped there by passers by or blown there from further along the terrace. But street responsibilities don't stop there. What about the plants which grow in the gutter or up through the pavement? For all that I enthuse about wild plants in the street, I remove these too. Plastic bottles and cans come bobbing along when it rains, form log-jams against any plants they come across and water pools across the road. It gets in the way. If there were any traffic, pedestrians would get splashed. I've been splashed. I didn't like it. Plants which come up through the pavement tip the slabs into an angle and people trip. Plants which push their way through tarmac cause cracks and the pathway disintegrates. So I pull them up too. When I'm doing this 'street tidying' I don't feel in the least bit 'wild', I feel fuddy-duddy and mean. I can even sense some of you looking over my shoulder, being critical, saying 'I thought your blog celebrates street plants?'. Well it does. But even they have to be in the 'right' place. 'Nature' is pretty strong. We humans can be overwhelmed. We aren't always as indomitable as we think. Let buddleia take root in the tiles of our roofs and our houses will fall down.

Quite a lot of us have become interested in the way the coronavirus pandemic has led to an increase in plant-life. Verges have been left un-mown. More plants than usual have been left unmolested in urban settings. Which means ordinary citizens are having to decide 'what is to be done'; what is to be removed and what should stay. It's not just me.

Maidenhair spleenwort (I think) in wall and yellow poppies at its foot.
And so it was, that when I was photographing a wall full of ferns (Maidenhair spleenwort do you think?) with flowering yellow poppies at its feet, a voice came shouting across the road,

"THEY ARE POPPIES'. 

I knew. I turned to see who was telling me. A woman who lives in that street explained from a healthy 'social distance' that she had pulled out other plants along the foot of the wall but had left the poppies on purpose. I really like this. It mean these poppies are not here by chance but by choice. Someone had chosen to leave them - and that is as much a choice as it would have been to have put them there in the first place.

Ragwort and dandelion against wall.


I have a neighbour who lets ragwort grow in a pot outside her front door each year. I do love this neighbourhood! And ragwort is currently almost everywhere. Dandelions have stopped flowering but we still have lots of yellow flowers. A spontaneous 'Britain in Bloom'.

Teasel growing against a wall.



I've even come across a teasel. This is my biggest surprise. Not only has it been allowed to grow taller than me, it seems to be the only one. How did it get to be there? It has three seed heads. Maybe there will be more teasels next year. 

Badge and Link to 30 Days Wild 2020
Today's Random Act of
Wildness is to
pick up litter and
choose which flowers
can stay in the street.

9 comments:

Peabea Scribbles said...

It is interesting how plants can make their way through tough surfaces. I'd never thought about the problem they could cause when it rains. Some of those are very pretty plants. Enjoyed seeing your visit to Peabea Scribbles so I could come visit your blog. Have a great weekend.

liz said...

This is an interesting topic of conversation! Are those celandine poppies that your neighbour chose to leave at the base of the stone wall with the ferns?
Here in the U.S., I’ve noticed a marked increase in enthusiastic invasive weeds this year. My own garden is a daily battle with bindweed, euonymus fortunei, ivy, and Japanese honeysuckle. Their leaves are larger and greener and they grow by leaps and bounds. If I leave them to their own devices, I will have a more of a jungle to contend with.

Flighty said...

It really is surprising to see what grows in such areas, and it's good to see them left alone more often than not. The teasel is certainly an interesting, and impressive, find. xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting post, with lots to think about! I admire plants that grow in unlikely places , like through concrete or in cracks in the wall.. Shows such determination to live, which means more to me the older I get. But I must admit that it is easier to admire when the concrete and walls are not my property and hence not my responsibility. (When we owned our home in Oregon I pulled those “weeds... I might even have sprayed them...but that was a long time ago when we didn’t know any better.)

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Peabea Scribbles. I feel very mean when I pull up plants in the street. A right vandal! However, they are all of a sort which self-seed easily so others, similar, can easily be found close by. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Loose and Leafy. Please do come again!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Liz. I've been peering at photos of celandine poppies and welsh poppies and trying to tell the difference between them. Are you able to advise?

As for your garden . . . I don't know how much space you have to spare for rampant plants. I love bindweed but it will take over everything. It's good in that it dies back and is easily cleared at the end of the year but a pain in that new plants grow from even fragments of roots. I hope though, that at least in the short term, you are enjoying your jungle.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Mike. I'm wondering whether the increase in street plants will encourage more birds into the neighbourhood. Gold finches love teasels. I've been puzzled by how few birds there are here. With extensive woods nearby maybe they can't be bothered with the more urban trees and grass stretches.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Sallie. I know what you mean. I'm always awe-struck when I see a small tree growing on a roof or out of a chimney - but know I'd be really worried something similar were growing on mind.

There are currently woodlice in my cellar. That's sort of fine . . . except I'm wondering what it is they are finding interesting there. Is something wooden rotting behind the plasterboard? Nature is sometimes most welcome when it is truly in the 'wild'.

Diana Studer said...

Would those yellow poppies be, from nature, or from a nearby garden?