Wednesday 10 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD: DAY TEN - APPRECIATING RAIN

Lucy Corrander
I'm getting acquainted with the habits of my neighbourhood from my window. After half-past five in the morning, people are walking to work. Around nine the local shop opens. When the sun shines lots of people come out and walk around very purposefully. In the afternoon, some afternoons, hoards of young men arrive with fish and chips and leave their wrappers on the ground. When it rains everything goes quiet. So, this morning, at around eight fifteen, wearing two hats, two coats, with steamed up glasses and a mask (dressed for June!) I made my way fairly confidently to the park - in the rain.

Path and statue, Peoples Park, Halifax, West Yorkshire
I had to go the long way round, come in at a wide entrance instead of through my usual narrow gate; and half the time I walked on the grass instead of paths but in this newly anti-social world, it 'worked'. There was very little traffic. I saw one person running. A couple of people were having trouble with their dogs (a very small one harassing a big one). I didn't go near anyone. I hardly saw anyone. For that matter, I hardly saw anything. I was walking around in a personal mist. Too late after setting out I remembered I'd read that if you put neat washing up liquid on your glasses they don't steam up. Has anyone tried it?

I'm not very used to parks. I'm more accustomed to wild places . . . cliffs, nettle-beds, ditches, moors! But I've grown very fond of our local park, its lawns, its paths, its statues, 

I think this is a cornus (Dogwood)


its bushes
I think this is a cornus (dogwood)

Trees in the Peoples Park, Halifax, West Yorkshire



its trees.

Badge and Link to 30 Days Wild 2020
30 DAYS WILD
Today's Random Act of
Wildness is to
celebrate rain.







So for  today's 30 Days Wild challenge, I celebrate the freedom of rain.

25 comments:

Imperfect and Tense said...

Lucy, your enthusiasm for the natural world and this project in particular is inspirational.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

There's something very liberating about being outside when everyone else is indoors. I imagine it's even better when you've been confined to barracks yourself for so long.

Jo said...

There were so many families out yesterday when we went for a walk, I think they were making the most of the good weather before the rain arrived today. The rain keeps many people indoors.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Thank you Graeme.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello John. Yes it is. And it smelled so good too!

Gattina said...

I like to observe people, it's interessting, even if they throw paper on the ground and I love parks and woods too.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Jo. It's really noticeable, the difference in how many people are out on the streets depending on whether it's sunny or rain. I've been missing the sunshine from a photographic point of view but if I can make a habit of going out when it rains I may end up being disappointed when I find the weather has brightened.

pat@siteandinsight.com said...

Lucy, I am loving these 30 wild day posts. They lift my spirits. Thank you.

liz said...

Lucy, how interesting are the daily routines of your neighborhood. 5:30 a.m. is very early (for me) to be walking to work. I like your park.. You’d probably find me corralling my dogs on the paths and off in the grass. Here in Central Kentucky we are quite good about wearing masks and “social distancing.”. I did not know about dishwashing liquid defogging eye glasses, having just spent $15 on a tiny bottle of something that purports to do just that! And, glorious rain. We just had about a 15 minute downpour ahead of a cold front (70sF) which to my English born and bred body is just what we need.

Birgitta said...

So interesting post!

Adrian Ward said...

Never tried washing up liquid but spit works in dive masks. It works as long as you aren't chewing chocolate Hobnobs.

Flighty said...

Good for you, and well done. It must have felt strange after all that time stuck indoors. Yes, that is a cornus (dogwood). Take care. xx

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Dressed accordingly you can tackle any weather, and we have a wide range of it all year round. Good you are able to still get out and enjoy nature.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If the park is what is available to you, Lucy, I think that is your new wild. You have to take nature where you can find it, and I am sure that the park has many secrets to share with a dedicated seeker. Just gotta keep those glasses clear!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love walking in the rain and there's a wonderful moment at this time of year when the rain stops and all the birds start singing

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Pat at Site and Insight. I'm so pleased you are enjoying the posts. Thank you for letting me know.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Liz. It would be interesting to know where people are going at 5:30am. 6 in the morning is a fairly traditional time to start work if you are on shifts and I expect people working in supermarkets, street cleaning, refuse collection etc. all have early starts. I'm wondering too whether some people are having to set off earlier than they usually would so they can walk to work instead of going on the bus.

Incidentally, since writing this post I've tried the washing up liquid trick - and it doesn't work. It smears the lenses so much you can't see through them. It kind of pre-fogs them. I put it on and washed it straight off! However, I tried Adrian's suggestion of spit - and, remarkably, that does work! I went for my walk in the park in the rain this morning (about half an hour) and was able to wear the mask all the time and could see where I was going with no trouble.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Birgitta. I am glad you enjoyed the post.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Adrian. The washing up liquid didn't work - but spit did! So thank you for the suggestion.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Flighty. Everything feels strange at the moment!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Linda. It's good to be outside, even for short bursts, after so long being confined to the house. I would quite like a big badge, I think, though to warn people that I am still shielding.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello David. Yes. I expect I will get to know the park better and better and better. There's a family of Canada geese there at present - both parents and five fluffy goslings that are getting quite big.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Crafty Green Poet. This is lovely rain to be walking in. Not many birds though. Although it's an urban environment I would have expected more.

Anna said...

Lovely to put a face to your name Lucy. Maybe we should be able to get specs with inbuilt windscreen wipers? Have just been enjoying a cracking thunderstorm here but from the safety of inside I'm glad to say.

Diana Studer said...

My doctor uses a strip of surgical tape across the top edge of the mask, bridge of the nose. Haven't tried, but, it works for her. She said halfway thru the day, she needs a new piece of tape.

Dishwashing liquid dripping in my eyes (or shampoo has also been suggested)? No, would make me weep.