Saturday 13 June 2020

30 DAYS WILD : DAY 13 - TREE FOLLOWING PART TWO

For Part One of Tree Following on Loose and Leafy in June - Click Here.

Top leaves of mature sycamore tree.
Top leaves of mature sycamore tree.
Do you know Jessica? She blogs in my old county of Dorset. She has blogged a lot about rocks and patterns and is currently doing a 'Daily Walk in Difficult Times'. And for many of us - perhaps all of us . . . these are, indeed, difficult times. Right early on in Lockdown, Jessica suggested I could do with a camera with a zoom lens. At that point, I was not 'allowed' out of my house. With a zoom, I could 'see' for much further than my own eyes or my current camera would allow.

Sycamore leaves and vestiges of blossom.
Sycamore leaves and vestiges of blossom.
I hadn't set the date properly on the 'new' camera
so I can't tell you when I took the photo - some time in May!

It was a tantalising thought. I imagined sort of living in an urban lighthouse, peering round the landscape from my window. I mentioned this to my brother who, astonishingly, turned out to have a camera with a zoom lens that he no longer uses. It arrived in the post. Unfortunately, the instruction booklet which was sent separately didn't. I can read the manual on-screen but it's not the same so I dived in to experiment. Queue high winds and rain. Queue the sycamore trees leafing up so much that although in theory I can see right across to hills on the other side of town I can currently see little but green. And then there's my arm.

Developing sycamore 'wings' (seeds)
Developing sycamore 'wings' (seeds).
May, 2020
Until a couple of weeks ago it was horribly painful all the time. I constantly re-filled hot water bottles to press against my shoulder. Then, one evening, unthinkingly, I levered myself up in bed onto my elbow. It was agony. Momentarily terrible. Followed by a sort of pins-and-needles tingling. Followed by a new sense of freedom. Movement which had felt forever impossible tuned down a notch to 'perhaps possible if I work on it'. Since then, it's been getting better and better. It still hurts but nothing like it did. Because of the pandemic, I couldn't go to the hospital for a check up when my arm came out of a sling. It was a telephone appointment instead. And there was no physio. I think my left shoulder must have been dislocated all that time as well as the top of the humerus being broken. It must have 'clicked back' into position when I lent on it.

Galls on sycamore leaves.
Red galls on the upper side of leaves because mites
are living on the under-side.
The point of all this is that starting off with my new camera has been slow. My arm hasn't been strong enough to properly support its weight and the view I had intended to examine has disappeared behind a wall of greenery that is often thrashing around all over the place. Neither it nor the long camera lens would keep still.

Wrinkles at the foot of new growth.
None the less, it has been extraordinarily interesting. I went to the top of the house and looked out of the window and pointed my lens to the tops of the trees - just for the sake of it.

I found there are red galls on some of the leaves, a reaction made by the tree to mites which live on the undersides of its leaves.

I was able to see the blossom close up. (No picture of this because everything was too wobbly - one of the reasons I think I may 'follow' these trees again next year.)

The 'wrinkles' closer up.
And remember the wrinkles on the twig we looked at on the 23rd May?  I was able to see where they 'fit' in the scheme of the tree.

Badge and Link to 30 Days Wild 2020
30 DAYS WILD
Today's Random Act of
Wildness is to
look into the parts of trees
usually too high to reach!


So . . . today's random act of wildness is . . . looking into the parts of trees usually too high to reach!


TODAY'S LINKS
There seem to be two kinds of mite which cause galls like these on sycamores. Here are two links to articles about them in case you'd like to find out more.
1. Sometimes it's Tough Being a Tree - on the blog Hortographical.
2. Mites - On the site 'Science Direct'.

 

Have you thought of following the progress of a tree through the year? For more information, go to Squirrelbasket.

18 comments:

Imperfect and Tense said...

Lucy, I think your senses must be set to 'zoom' mode, because you see interesting things that the rest of us just gloss over. It's as though you're a catalyst for some effervescent wildlife reaction.

Re dates of photos, if the picture files are on a computer, the file manager can be set to show details which include date taken. Or it is possible to 'right click' on the file and scroll down to 'Properties' to show date created.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Imperfect and Tense. I think the computer relies on how the camera has been 'set' and it hasn't yet been set up properly after its gap in use. I thought I had re-set the date but it turns out I hadn't done it right. I re-did it but it still seems to be a day out. I'll get there in the end but there are lots of buttons and dials and I keep trying to tap the settings because I am used to a touch screen on my usual camera and this is not a touch screen one. I'll get there! Once I've had enough practice and my arm's a bit stronger I'll take it out on walks with me.

Bill said...

With the zoom now you can see things closer and that is wonderful. Your photos are very nice to see. Keep on experimenting and enjoy. Have a wonderful day.

Susannah Anderson said...

Great photos! I love the idea of using a zoom to see treetops.

I hope your arm continues to improve.

Granny Sue said...

What fun you will have as the seasons progress! I have a nice camera that needs a zoom lens but so far I've resisted buying one when my main camera can zoom 35x. But I am so tempted! Cannot wait to see what you choose to examine with your new super-power!

Hollis said...

Nice, Lucy. Looks like you're doing fine with the zoom, something I haven't tried yet. I look forward to more shots.

Squirrelbasket said...

I'm very happy you revisited.
I have seen something like those red gall mite growths on lime tree leaves but not on sycamore.
This gives a whole new meaning to the "Zoom" calls that are trending during the lockdown.
You have reminded me that I have a proper zoom lens on a DSLR that I haven't taken out for a couple of years as I am so addicted to my compact camera. You have inspired me to think again.
I'm also glad your shoulder is sorting itself out. Isn't it terrible that covid stops us seeking medical attention for anything else?
I have heard of people pulling out their own teeth!
Take care :)


Flighty said...

Have fun with the zoom lens. I hope that your arm is now sorted and gets fully better soon. xx

Island Threads said...

Hello again Lucy, isn't being able to zoom in closer wonderfull, I'm still learning about my new camera and enjoying the journey. Pleased your arm is getting better now, it is very diffcult when one limb is out of action or only partly in action. Take care, Frances

Diana Studer said...

Do you have a tripod, to relieve your sore arm?

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Bill. I like the colour the zoom camera produces - and the sense of distance between whatever the subject of the photo is and anything even a short way beyond. Yes, I will keep experimenting!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Thanks Susannah. The trees will provide endless interest but once I've got a bit more used to the camera . . . and am able to venture further or more often afield, I expect I will find some more conventional uses for it too. The little camera works almost like a microscope. This bigger camera will be my telescope!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Granny Sue. If it doesn't sound too daft . . . I will be interested to see what I will do with it too! Pottering around on my own and without the manual it will be something of an adventure because I don't have pre-prepared expectations.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Hollis. I haven't taken many photographs yet with this different camera but of those I have . . . er . . . I have a lot of blurry ones!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Squirrelbasket. I don't think I could pull out my own teeth! I am glad I haven't had toothache in all this time. It would be awful not to be able to go to a dentist.

It will be interesting to see what you do with your zoom if you do decide to bring it back into action. I imagine there are some pretty interesting tops to buildings in Cardiff - and you could perhaps peer further into the trees too?!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Flighty. I have never before had a choice of lenses. It feels very luxurious.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Frances. It's great having a new camera isn't it? I see on your blog what fun and new possibilities you are having with yours.
Thanks for your best wishes re. the arm.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Diana. No, I don't have a tripod. I've thought about it, but I don't think I would want one. It would be too cumbersome on my walks. I will just have to put lots of effort into strengthening this arm!