Thursday 1 March 2018

STREET PLANTS IN MARCH

Blades of grass and a grass flower peeping above snow on a street corner.
With as much snow being blown up into the air as there is snow falling, it's not a good time for a street plant post. Last month, the snow had turned to ice so the ground was dangerously slippy. This time it's soft and fluffy; so while the grip under-foot is better, the wind is able to gather it up and blast it sideways across the road. When I lived on the south coast I wished I had an underwater camera. Now I wish for one which wouldn't mind snow; though there are moments when it would be pointless to take pictures anyway for one can see nothing but white.

I noticed this little grass flower (above) on a corner yesterday. If I were to go back now, it would be buried.

Fern growing on a terrace chimney.

Between posts, we've had some non-snowy weather. On one of these days I saw a fern growing on a chimney (24th February); a change from the ubiquitous, wall-destroying buddleia.

(You might need to enlarge the picture to see it. It's growing between the bricks and concrete on the middle chimney.)

Little grass plant next to a stone wall.



Also on 24th February: this other little grass plant.

None of this is superbly exciting but it is reassuring  Nature chugs on. We know it. But we like to see it too. 

Meanwhile, the National Grid has announced it may have run out of gas by the end of today which means some of those who are losing a day's wages because they have not been able to go to work because of the snow may also go cold this evening. The National Grid is trying to persuade industry to go easy on gas - even to the extent of being prepared to buy it back or something. I looked at their site and they seem to be open to offers. (I think.)

P.S. Nothing to do with street plants: I've taken over another part-allotment with a small greenhouse and a larger one which doubles as a potting shed big enough to have a table and chairs in. How's that for good fortune?

If you have a post about the plants growing wild in the streets near you, do add your post URL to the box below.

(P.P.S. The Mister Linky gadget asks you to comment after posting a URL. You don't need to post a URL to comment, nor do you have to comment - though please do because I'm always delighted to read what you say!)

8 comments:

liz said...

Lexington, Kentucky Liz, Lucy, since you seem to have another steady “Liz” commenter.
I enlarged the middle photo and saw the fern growing on the chimney stack. Brave little fellow.
The weather seems so changeable this winter. Bitterly cold and snowing one day; mild and 70 degrees F the next, yet as you note, nature prevails.
I hope the National Grid doesn’t fail to produce heat when people need it. Is the reason for the low reserves the extreme cold in Britain?

Anonymous said...

I like your expression Nature chugs on. Lucky you with the new plot and greenhouses. xx

Alistair said...

Your chimney Fern is looking healthier than my pot grown ones. It has been terrible here in Fife these last few days. Snow so severe transport has been virtually shut down. Thaw setting in today.

Anna said...

Oh you are getting the allotment bug Lucy - good luck with the new space which sounds as if provides a luxury des res both for plants and people.

Hollis said...

I had the best of intentions ... but extreme wind, day after day, have made outdoor plant photography impossible. Finally today is calm, hopefully the first of several. What is the deadline for this Linky Widget? In any case, surely I'll make the next one.

Hollis said...

I guess I won't make it this month ... did a little looking, didn't see anything but one dandelion rosette. I will jump in next month. Thanks Lucy!

Pat Tillett said...

Nature always finds a way...
I did the see the little fern, growing away in a most unlikely spot.
Love the photo of the grass poking out of the snow.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Hello Liz. I think the stress on the National Grid came about because two significant problems in the creation / distribution of power coincided with the extreme dip in temperature. If it had been one but not the other they might not have got so worried. (I think!)

Hello Mike. Nature has done a little spurt since the beginning of March.

Hello Alistair. Hope your weather is becoming more clement now. Ours is still up and down and far from frost-free. Ferns which were alright aren't now. Perhaps I should go and take another zoomed in photo of the one on the chimney to see how it has fared up there.

Hello Anna. I am certainly fortunate in my allotment. Having a park bench on the plot at which to drink coffee is a special bonus.

Hello Holllis. I'm thinking of moving the dates for the street plant posts. Having them at the beginning of the month is really like reporting on the month past - so having them at the end or in the middle would make more sense.

Hello Pat. There's something special about grass sticking out above snow. It stays green and is a sort of an announcement 'we're still here!'